Bulgur and Grape Salad with Walnuts and Currants
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur wheat
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, cut in halves or quarters, depending on size, or Champagne grapes
- 1 cup small-diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 T dried currants
- 3 T Walnut Oil Buy now
- 3 T White Balsamic Vinegar Buy now
- 2 T minced shallot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the bulgur, remove from heat, cover, and let sit until water is completely absorbed and bulgur is tender and cooled to room temperature, about 1 hour. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the grapes, celery, walnuts, parsley, currants, walnut oil, vinegar, shallot, and 1/2 tsp. salt; toss well. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
This wholesome whole-grain side dish is great with roast chicken or lamb. Enjoy it as is or with a crumble of goat cheese. Serves 6. Yields about five cups.